Straight Talk Wireless - Straighttalk users BEWARE of tethering Android phones

I had been a Straighttalk user for the past couple of years with very little issues with their services until I baught their Android phone. I went on the internet and looked at tethering my Android to my laptop. I had checked out a few websites that had offered a free service but,of coarse,after a trial period you had to pay for their services. Well,to my surprise I had found a website that offered free service without having to commite to their service after a trial period. That website is PDAnet.com. I am warning all Straighttalk Android users planning on tethering their phones to not do it. I downloaded everything for tethering my Android right from PDAnet's webpage,which also included downloading everything needed on my phone. Everything seemed to be going great,until about a month into me using this tethering,my phone had been disconnected from Straighttalk. I had called Straighttalk to see why this was happening and they had told me that I was using the tethering too much and PDAnet wanted my service disconnected.

After a couple of hours of complaining and quit a few phone calls to Straighttalk we came to the agreement that they would reactivate my phone as long as I agreed to not use the tethering as much as I had been. Both Straighttalk n I agreedand my service was restored. All was well until 2 weeks later when i was in the middle of sending sms messages to my daughter,my service was shut off again!!!

Every time I tried sending an sms an error message would show on my screen with a CODE 97 and to call customer service.

Once again I had called Straighttalk to see what a CODE 97 was and why my service was disconnected again. The first person I talked to told me they were sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing me but I had to call another office number and talk to a supervisor. When I asked what a CODE 97 was,this person would not tell me anything about it. In fact he kept backpeddaling and appologizing and avoiding my question about the CODE 97. He did give me another number I needed to call but he informed me that it was past their office hours and I would need to call them tomorrow. First off if my phone was shut off at 10pm and their office closes at 8pm how can they expect their customers to be understanding n not get pissed about their services being disconnected??? The Straighttalk guy hung up on me...

The next morning I had tried to call that number given to me the night before by Straighttalk but I couldnt do to my services being shut off...I had to call Straighttalk customer service back again. I told them I was given this number to call because my phone had a CODE 97 but I couldnt call because they shut my phone off and i needed them to connect me to that other number thru them. As I waited half an hour on hold,I finally got to talk to a supervisor!!!

Well this supervisor had appologized for any inconveniences this has caused me and continued on to tell me that my services have been terminated indefinately. INDEFINATELY!!! What!!! She had explained that I had been warned numerous times about using PDAnet and I didnt listen to their warnings so they terminated my services. Of coarse I was getting really pissed by now and I had asked the woman to give me some dates of these warnings because it wasnt true on their part. I had the 1 phone conversation with Straighttalk when the had previously disconnected my services and made the agreement with them to not use PDAnet "as much" as I had been. I went on to tell this woman that I had NOT used PDAnet at all since I had made this agreement to keep my service going. This woman preceeded to argue I had numerous warnings from them about using PDAnet. We had argued back n forth about the usage and yet she still would not give me any dates of these so called warnings from them. She had also notified me that my Android cellphone will not be able to be reactivated ever again. What!! So,i asked her what they want to do about the rest of the month of service I had paid for and the $150.00 I spent on this Android phone. Were they willing to re-emburse me for any of the money I spent? She told me that the only thing I could do is buy another phone from Wal-Mart and have it activated with a new number and service card then call them back to see if I will get the rest of my month I paid for put on the new phone.

So,here I am without my phone,a phone I spent $150.00 on that will never be activated again by me or anyone else,and having to spend even more money to buy another phone and service card.I cant beleive that Straighttalk would even think I would stay with them after all the wasted money I spent on something that is now useless to me or anyone else all because of tethering.

I will never use Straighttalk again and I hope all the Straighttalk users out there please take my warning of the tethering use. Please dont do it so this wont happen to you too. Im very dissatified with the outcome of this whole situation.Discusted is more like it!!

More Review Details

Helpful? 336 Yes 336 916 No 916
Had the same issue 164 Yes 164
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 02 #1105178

I don't know what you people below are talking about, Straight Talk offers tethering services through their plans. It's on their website if you bothered to Google it at any point. My Android has 4G capabilities and all you basically have to do is activate tethering on the straight talk website.
So, what happened here is you use a program that circumvented the terms of your contract, and they told you to go away. Here's the deal: when you use an alternate program to tether, you're not paying for the data. That number on your card when you buy a plan at Wal Mart or whatever? Yeah, you're just walking around it. That's why they got mad. It's basically like you hacked your phone for free minutes, but data instead of minutes. They had every right to kick you.

Jan 20 #1097873

I have used Straight Talk for years with no problem whatsoever. You obviously never read your contract agreement that clearly states no tethering. You then ignored warning on your phone and went around system to figure a way around this, and after essentially stealing data, got caught and had your service discontinued.
So your problem is...? Don't do that again!! I'm sure Straight Talk will survive without you. Try investing in some spelling and grammar lessons, maybe you could send a letter or two.

2 0 Reply

Jan 09 #1091804

Bastards free awifi benefits everyone. Even big rich businesses. It should be shared between devices. *** you BOUGHT the data. If you buy food do you not share french fries with a friend. You Paid For data. Sue them.

1 4 Reply

Jan 05 #1089325

lol your goofy, all you had to do was go into the settings>more networks>tethering options> and tether it via bluetooth or usb..wait for your component to install its own networking on your computer, and its own drivers for such, then you should notice your no longer wireless but LAN rather, then you know your connected and should be able to use the internet at your own will on your laptop.

0 3 Reply

Jan 02 #1087338

Ya. Read the ST agreement
It sucks but no tethering allowed.

1 0 Reply

Dec 25, 2015 #1083641

what phone did you use

Nov 24, 2015 #1069134

Who do you use now

Nov 02, 2015 #1057382

My phone is unlocked for multi cariers.I teacher a lot and haven't had a single issue or any service interuptions.along with being a customer for 4+years

Nov 03, 2015 #1057723

Hi. I’m Maria from Straight Talk Wireless. We're sorry for the trouble. To resolve the problem, please send us an email with your account information to ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com.

0 7 Reply

Jan 07 #1090179

what phone service r u using?

Sep 25, 2015 #1038857

And just think I was about to use the EXACT same program for tethering. Now I know not to. Dang it I was gonna play games in my pc online with my friends. PDAnet and Straight Talk can suck it.

Oct 09, 2015 #1045509

I am Maria and I work with Straight Talk. Please let me help you get this resolved. Send me an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com and we will resolve your problem right away.

1 5 Reply

Sep 14, 2015 #1033454

Straight Talk is fine until you have to use their customer service. THEY ARE THE WORST!!!! They are dumb, too. They kept giving my *** artist aunt free months (this went on for two years!) because she would shoot them a few lies & these idiots would believe her because they do not keep notes to pass on to the next person. Why do you think you have to explain your problem over and over again??? Cheap is not always quality!!!!!

2 0 Reply

Oct 09, 2015 #1045434

1 2 Reply
Guru_Of_Truth

Jun 29, 2015 #1001285

Liar - StraightTalk is aware of everything you do on your phone.
You tethered or used a wireless connection as an AP for your laptop and you were caught.
You were also warned previously about this and now YOU'RE pissed? lol.
I think you should worry more about proper English grammar & usage and less time worrying if you can get a net-connection using your phone.

4 11 Reply
Niggerknower

Aug 02, 2015 #1014868 New York, New York

How can people not realize this is a black dude duh

2 7 Reply

Nov 14, 2015 #1064040

As a man thinks, so is he!

1 0 Reply

May 29, 2015 #989548

I assume English isn't your first language.

3 1 Reply

May 09, 2015 #981776

And straight talk slows down waaay to quickly.

3 1 Reply
jec1959

Apr 05, 2015 #968106 Grand Forks, North Dakota

I have never had any issues with StraightTalk ever, but why in the world would anyone trust an unknown site let alone most anything downloaded from the internet? Seems to me that StraightTalk was in the right here!

3 14 Reply

1-20 of 154 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.