Straight Talk Wireless - Straighttalk users BEWARE of tethering Android phones

Jun 22, 2012
review #326590

I had been a Straighttalk user for the past couple of years with very little issues with their services until I baught their Android phone. I went on the internet and looked at tethering my Android to my laptop. I had checked out a few websites that had offered a free service but,of coarse,after a trial period you had to pay for their services. Well,to my surprise I had found a website that offered free service without having to commite to their service after a trial period. That website is PDAnet.com. I am warning all Straighttalk Android users planning on tethering their phones to not do it. I downloaded everything for tethering my Android right from PDAnet's webpage,which also included downloading everything needed on my phone. Everything seemed to be going great,until about a month into me using this tethering,my phone had been disconnected from Straighttalk. I had called Straighttalk to see why this was happening and they had told me that I was using the tethering too much and PDAnet wanted my service disconnected.

After a couple of hours of complaining and quit a few phone calls to Straighttalk we came to the agreement that they would reactivate my phone as long as I agreed to not use the tethering as much as I had been. Both Straighttalk n I agreedand my service was restored. All was well until 2 weeks later when i was in the middle of sending sms messages to my daughter,my service was shut off again!!!

Every time I tried sending an sms an error message would show on my screen with a CODE 97 and to call customer service.

Once again I had called Straighttalk to see what a CODE 97 was and why my service was disconnected again. The first person I talked to told me they were sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing me but I had to call another office number and talk to a supervisor. When I asked what a CODE 97 was,this person would not tell me anything about it. In fact he kept backpeddaling and appologizing and avoiding my question about the CODE 97. He did give me another number I needed to call but he informed me that it was past their office hours and I would need to call them tomorrow. First off if my phone was shut off at 10pm and their office closes at 8pm how can they expect their customers to be understanding n not get pissed about their services being disconnected??? The Straighttalk guy hung up on me...

The next morning I had tried to call that number given to me the night before by Straighttalk but I couldnt do to my services being shut off...I had to call Straighttalk customer service back again. I told them I was given this number to call because my phone had a CODE 97 but I couldnt call because they shut my phone off and i needed them to connect me to that other number thru them. As I waited half an hour on hold,I finally got to talk to a supervisor!!!

Well this supervisor had appologized for any inconveniences this has caused me and continued on to tell me that my services have been terminated indefinately. INDEFINATELY!!! What!!! She had explained that I had been warned numerous times about using PDAnet and I didnt listen to their warnings so they terminated my services. Of coarse I was getting really pissed by now and I had asked the woman to give me some dates of these warnings because it wasnt true on their part. I had the 1 phone conversation with Straighttalk when the had previously disconnected my services and made the agreement with them to not use PDAnet "as much" as I had been. I went on to tell this woman that I had NOT used PDAnet at all since I had made this agreement to keep my service going. This woman preceeded to argue I had numerous warnings from them about using PDAnet. We had argued back n forth about the usage and yet she still would not give me any dates of these so called warnings from them. She had also notified me that my Android cellphone will not be able to be reactivated ever again. What!! So,i asked her what they want to do about the rest of the month of service I had paid for and the $150.00 I spent on this Android phone. Were they willing to re-emburse me for any of the money I spent? She told me that the only thing I could do is buy another phone from Wal-Mart and have it activated with a new number and service card then call them back to see if I will get the rest of my month I paid for put on the new phone.

So,here I am without my phone,a phone I spent $150.00 on that will never be activated again by me or anyone else,and having to spend even more money to buy another phone and service card.I cant beleive that Straighttalk would even think I would stay with them after all the wasted money I spent on something that is now useless to me or anyone else all because of tethering.

I will never use Straighttalk again and I hope all the Straighttalk users out there please take my warning of the tethering use. Please dont do it so this wont happen to you too. Im very dissatified with the outcome of this whole situation.Discusted is more like it!!

acb235a
Had an experience with Straight Talk Wireless?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Bob

Aug 02

Dude. You should sue them! That's awful!

0 5 Reply

Jul 27

All this crying i pay. 45 for st and 55 to. Virgin. mobile. for unlimited wifi that's 100 dollars that's not bad and i didn't steal anything

0 4 Reply
babygirl

Jul 27

This doesn't help much. but it says you agree to the terms useing the phone. on the outside of the box the phone came in no teethering.. not just a little or sometimes. you broke your agreement theybabygirl drop you ALWAYS. READ. FINE. PRINT SORRY

Misanthropic

Jul 26

100% your fault!
Try reading the TOS next time.
What do you expect for $45/month? Too much, apparently!

2 0 Reply
michael

Jul 10

thanks for the info. im fed up with straighttalk on my android. my location map keeps saying i'm in oahu when I live on Maui. I cant use any apps that provide my location because i'm not in Oahu. I have rebooted more times than i can count with unchecking and rechecking the location settings. i've sent numerous complaints yet noone has bothered to contact me or fix the problem. im going to throw the phone in the ocean and go back to my flip phone, i dont need this *** or this frustration! these cell phone companies are more trouble than they are worth... and to think i'm actually paying for this service!!

2 0 Reply
MariaST

Jul 14

Hi, this is Maria with Straight Talk Wireless. I read your post and am sorry that you are having problems. Please send me your contact information to the following email address ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com. We can help you get the problem resolved right away. Please include your name, phone serial number or cell phone number. Just copy and paste your comments from the blog and include it in your email or you can chat with us live @ http://bit.ly/16DrgbW.

4 3 Reply
anonymous

Jul 09

I've been using ST for several years now. The only thing remotely like a problem is some issues with new phones I've purchased that used a different carrier than I had been using. Only one carrier seems to work here at the house. Problems were resolved by getting correct phone, still with them.
Cant seem to get the hang of surfing on my phone. That's why I'm checking into tethering, Didn't realize ST ban that. Still researching..

1 1 Reply
kenny

Jun 23

I get error code 97 when I send text messages, I call tech support and get the same thing for the past 8 months, its a tower problem. that's a lie because my wife uses st also and doesn't have this problem so what gives.

MariaST

Jun 24

Hi, this is Maria and I work for Straight Talk. I can help you get this resolved right away. Please email us your contact information to ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com. Include your name, contact number, cell phone or serial number. Please copy and paste your comments from the blog and include it in your email or you can chat with us live @ http://bit.ly/16DrgbW .

0 1 Reply
Lola

Jun 22

Straight talk is a freaking joke of a phone company!! I have gone to Ting Mobile (www.ting.com). Never use straight talk because the 30 and 45 dollar pricepoints are way too good to be true! At least Ting lets you tether

Cmone 1

Jun 10

Clearly this post actually works because I was about to go in tether from my lg phone not after reading all of this s***

blah

Jun 02

A.you are lying, B.,C.,and D. You.cannot.spell.

1 1 Reply

Apr 30

Of course anyone too *** to know how to spell "course" is too *** to read the TOS. I am sure he is dumb as F because he can't spell. I would be happy if my phone just worked to make calls!

usagiakumu

Feb 18

I find people who like to just abuse the system then complain about things when they get disconnected or banned from a service.
They specifically say in their TOS NOT TO USE TETHERING! If you cannot be bothered to follow the rules, then wah for you!!!
They do warn you when you end up using too much with text messages. It again falls fault with you, not ST for ignoring them. You probably thought it as a "renew your service" text.
Again "don't use it as much" would communicate to never use it again but being nice about it as, again, the TOS says not to use it. At all...
I use the service for Play Music from Google in my car, I download apps occasionally, use Firefox, Youtube and make about 20-30 calls for business usage a day.
I figured I would call and ask after reading about some negative reviews. The lady said that people are warned via text messages abour 3-5 times then BANNED. People who get banned are those who are abusive with their data usage like downloading torrents. That I am fine and reviewed my usage. Guess what they can see what you do lol... She said there is no reason to worry as long as my usage doesn't go WAY higher than what I use. I was told that the cap is around 3-5GB, after which it is slowed to 3G until like 8GB then 10 is EDGE. I barely break 2GB. Moral of the story, don't be an asshat who torrents *** and guess what you wont catch flac...

1 0 Reply
Hawk

Feb 06

Geez, Really expect to tether even though straight talk says you can't and get away with it? It's idiots like that who have no respect for the rules that raise my rates.
I've had straight talk for several years, now using an Iphone on it. I have no complaints, I am getting exactly what I expected, no more on less. When I have had a problem it has been addressed quickly (in spite of the complains I read about customer service)and to my satisfaction.
If anyone wants to talk about greed, then lets talk Verizon, ATT & Sprint.

3 2 Reply
Happy with low cost

Jan 18

Stop being a cry baby!!!!
Clearly you (me too) like the low price of Straight Talk, as compared to Verizon or the others...
If you want more data that Straight Talk is offering, sign up for another carrier.
You obviously can read. Did you read the 'agreement'? Were you able to find in the agreement any section that says that Straight talk owed you a warning, if you broke the agreement? They don't owe you any warning! You cheated and lied and you know it.

0 1 Reply
Jack

Jan 03

I have been using ST for years, and I have never had these issues. Perhaps that is because I read the terms, and never tried to break them. It also says they can terminate for "abnormal usage", and tethering counts. I have an LG Dynamic Duo with Android 2.3.6, on a 3G connection. I get 2.5 gigs a month at 3G speed, then it reduces after that (if I pass it), exactly as the terms say it will.
If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.
And good luck in finding another company that will give you unlimited talk, text, pics, and internet for $45 a month. I get my net from AT&T, and they can't beat that price.

Soon To Be former ST Customer

Sep 28

I found the perfect one, Boost Mobile for $55 dollars a month, You Have Unlimited Text, Talk and 10GB's a month, Or the $45 dollar plan that allows, Unlimited Talk & Text and Double ST's Amount with 5GB's of data. So sorry to inform you, ST can be beat and I will be leaving finally after 5 years of service And I get a free Phone with no contracts.

1 0 Reply

Oct 15

too bad service area totally sucks.......

1-20 of 114 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Straight Talk Wireless.
Filing a new complaint about
×