Etna, Maine
1.9K views

Update by user May 23, 2013

Samsung Proclaim, not Huawei Ascend.

Original review posted by user May 23, 2013

They deactivated my phone in January, and refused to explain why.I was told I was calling chat lines, downloading music, and eventually exceeding data limits.

I asked the customer service agent Jason, who could not speak English to say the least, how much data I had used. He said they didn’t have that information. I asked what the data limit was and he explained that there was no limit, its unlimited…I asked for supervisor after supervisor and finally heard a automated voice say ‘No one is available, please call back later’. They ignored my calls and would hang up on me every time I would call.

I eventually filed a complaint with the BBB and was finally contacted about 6 weeks later. Shelly-Ann Starkey is the BBB contact for TracFone, aka Straight Talk. She explained that because they are a prepaid carrier, they don’t pay monthly for the service of their customers, they actually pay 2-3 months behind: When I bought and activated a brand new phone from Walmart with a new number, they weren’t up to date and hadn’t realized that the number was activated under a new phone. So in January when they deactivated the phone number due to term/condition violations, they were actually terminating my service.

Shelly-Ann apologized and offered me a month of free service and to reactivate my phone, I declined and explained that due to their mistake I had to buy a new phone with a different provider. I told her I wanted 3 months of free service for the time without my phone, and to be able to wait until my current phone plan ran out so I wouldn’t have to waste more money. She agreed and told me to email her. Awesome, right?

No. She didn’t respond to my 22 phone calls, or the 7 emails I had sent. I actually had to buy another card so I could have a phone. When she finally did return my email, she explained she was on vacation.

I was floored and just wanted the hassle over with, so I settled with 4 months of free service.

^^^That was as of March 1st.It is now May 23, and even though I now turn off my mobile data to avoid throttling, my data is so slow it does not load facebook or my email.

Had an Experience with Straight Talk Wireless?

Comments