6.3K views

I purchased a Straight Talk smart phone for my daughter and set up auto-refill to pay for the unlimited data plan.

Three weeks ago, the data service was shut off. My daughter called them to report the Internet was inaccessible, but gave up after being transferred through several foreign representatives whose command of English was so poor she couldn't understand them. She still had phone service, so she assumed they would fix the data when her service refilled.

Straight Talk sent me a notice that they were processing the credit card payment on January 21st, and notice that they had refilled the service on January 25th. My credit card statement reports the charge went through on January 23rd. However, the phone was deactivated on the 23rd.

When I called to find out why the phone wasn't working, they said it had been shut off due to "excessive data use". When I asked how somebody could use too much data on an unlimited plan, they refused to explain and said they had to question the user about her data use. I explained that would be difficult, considering she couldn't use the phone, and was told the phone would not be turned back on until she called them and they hung up on me.

So, it was obvious that they had arbitrarily turned off her data service, with no notice to anyone, and then drafted money for the next month of service, knowing that they were not going to provide service. I think that's called FRAUD.

Their customer service is absolutely horrible. Every time you call, you are transferred from one representative to another and none of them speak English well enough to carry on any semblance of a functional conversation. Frankly, I suspect this is an offshore company hiding behind a Miami address. Every person I have spoken to (bar none) talks in heavily accented Indian.

I am currently filing complaints with the FCC, the Florida State Attorney Generals Offices and the Florida Public Utilities Commission. I would recommend nobody dealing with this company.

Review about: Straight Talk Wireless Phone Plan.

Had an Experience with Straight Talk Wireless?

Comments

Fairview, New Jersey, United States #1209394

I hate hate and hate straight talk they rob you alive.

I just had this same problem I just turned my phone on 2 days ago and now its all of the sudden saying that I have used almost 3 gigabytes of data that's not even possible and I barely use my phone and he was trying to say was my fault why my internet was running up talking about my apps we're updating on my mobile data but even if that's so I shouldn't have ran up to 3 gigabytes in 2 days I wish I can tell a whole variety of people that Straight Talk is a scam talking about unlimited data

Me and grandma purchased 2 streight talk phones.we are experiencing every little thung that could go wrong.first we pay for unlimited data and we always get a warning for data.the phones 411 sucks its a scam the phones over heat. When i have full batt i will unplug it and i come back in about 5 minutes and it has50% batt i highly reccomend that yiu dont get streight talk

Maryland Line, Maryland, United States #764806

Yep they got me,, I was locked in Verizon unlimited service and was thinking I could save with straight talk unlimited and now I see they sure can lie, they tell you that you have 2.5G high speed then cut you back, Well I only have 300MB with slow speeds .

On speed test I get download 0.45 and upload 0.48

They own us all for the lie that they tell.

Maryland...

you are 100 % right. . Jes, we nit able to transfer yuor numare" is my gripe with Haji Sheiks

:p

New Castle, Delaware, United States #715338

What a joke! I called up and got through to the customer service in Guatamala (6 times of me asking him where he was located, and he kept saying that the headquarters was in Miami), and he told me the unlimited data is only if I use it in my house on my wi-fi. I asked him how I can use the GPS in my family room - he kept saying "in paragraph 6 & 7 it says unlimited data" but "does not say the data connection is provided by (them)"

Flomaton, Alabama, United States #674111

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me and they also told me that I used too much data that I would have to purchase another service card to start my services... now granted that I had refilled my plan only 2 weeks before so I ask how is it possible to ALL UNLIMITED data in two weeks.

mynistac
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States #662852

I threw the phone away and fought with trac phone via the bbb for a month and finally finally got my money back for the month of service I got screwed out of.I too have gone to spring and millions of mb later, still not cut off or slowed down.

Straight talk is one of the biggest scams I've ever seen.Grr

to mynistac Wichita Falls, Texas, United States #702997

wait so now no more data execution :D please tell me how i can get your results :'c

Dumas, Texas, United States #662577

Straight talks unlimited data is bullsh!t I had them for about 6mo.I work shift work 12hr with quite a bit of downtime so I would watch netflix and youtube quite often on my phone, they cancelled my PHONE for using to much data, no tethering just an android phone.

the only way to continue using there service would me to buy another phone. Straight talk=Scam read the fine print.

Switched to Sprint, unlimited data no slow slow downs on my speeds.Yea I pay more but at least there advertising is honest.