York, Pennsylvania
6.4K views

I purchased a Straight Talk smart phone for my daughter and set up auto-refill to pay for the unlimited data plan.

Three weeks ago, the data service was shut off. My daughter called them to report the Internet was inaccessible, but gave up after being transferred through several foreign representatives whose command of English was so poor she couldn't understand them. She still had phone service, so she assumed they would fix the data when her service refilled.

Straight Talk sent me a notice that they were processing the credit card payment on January 21st, and notice that they had refilled the service on January 25th. My credit card statement reports the charge went through on January 23rd. However, the phone was deactivated on the 23rd.

When I called to find out why the phone wasn't working, they said it had been shut off due to "excessive data use". When I asked how somebody could use too much data on an unlimited plan, they refused to explain and said they had to question the user about her data use. I explained that would be difficult, considering she couldn't use the phone, and was told the phone would not be turned back on until she called them and they hung up on me.

So, it was obvious that they had arbitrarily turned off her data service, with no notice to anyone, and then drafted money for the next month of service, knowing that they were not going to provide service. I think that's called FRAUD.

Their customer service is absolutely horrible. Every time you call, you are transferred from one representative to another and none of them speak English well enough to carry on any semblance of a functional conversation. Frankly, I suspect this is an offshore company hiding behind a Miami address. Every person I have spoken to (bar none) talks in heavily accented Indian.

I am currently filing complaints with the FCC, the Florida State Attorney Generals Offices and the Florida Public Utilities Commission. I would recommend nobody dealing with this company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Straight Talk Wireless Phone Plan.

Comments

Taneytown, Maryland, United States #629991

Today I got the prerecorded message stating my data usage is to high. This came as a huge shock.

I have had the same service for about 3 years and never had a problem (with the exception of the very poor customer service). Actually quite the opposite, I constantly try to convince friends and family to switch. I recently (about 3 months ago) got a new unlocked at&t phone and am assuming that's what triggered this issue. After reading these posts I am extremely concerned with what comes next and what to do about this situation.

I know very little when it comes to modern technology and am very unsure what my options are.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! :?

Irondequoit, New York, United States #627384

My phone worked perfect for 3 months then the data was being shut off by them daily. I kept calling and they are clueless as to why.

Sent me to supervisor then to a manager. I believe we narrowed it down. This is unlimited data but to a point. You CANT watch NETFLIX unless using wifi.

They dont allow continous streaming video. You cant go onto youtube and play long continuous video. Have to keep it basic. I also was uploading all my pics and videos to a backup program online.

Cant do that either. I have samsung galaxy s3 so I can set that to do that only when using Wifi.

So you can go onlineto use facebook like crazy. Go to straight talk web site and click Terms & Aggreement and read section #6.

Birmingham, Alabama, United States #623550

I have been shunted to a recording giving advice about "usage". I have been on hold for about 2.5 HOURS each day over a 7 day period trying to get the phone fixed.

I've been passed from rep to rep, I've called track phone and straight talk gotten the run around ad nasuim!! the phone has been in use for over 1 year with no problems. I've even tryed to get onto the straight talk forum (no comformation e-mail was sent to alow access) to get help. You guys are saying that even if I pay for another month i will be cut off?

is that correct? I may swich to Tmobile for their "unlimmited" plan. Id like to know what Fed law is broken when they are monitering our usage??

What a bait and swich scam!!!

TONNES of fed laws are broken due to scam fraud nature of Straightalk!! :(

to workingman Tallahassee, Florida, United States #644571

Watch out for T-Mobile or Simple Mobile... They say unlimited but when you hit 5GB data they then either cut you off or drop you to speeds slower than dial Up

Sprint is truly only unlimited, but... Only if you reside on their 4G network otherwise 3G or less is capped at 5GBs... This is in their fine print I believe, if not I actually got it of multpile techs assisting me with my phone when pushed about why I should upgrade.

Verizon does not appear to be offering unlimited; except, to Business accounts or possibly only Not-For-Profits where I work...

Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States #622523

I've used straight talk unlimited service for a few years and have had no such problems.

Buffalo, New York, United States #622230

So glad that you people have exposed this scam called Straight Talk Wireless! I was just about to switch to them to get the Iphone 5, BECAUSE OF YOU ALL MYSELF AND MY FAMILY (5 TOTAL LINES) WILL BE STAYING WITH VERIZON!

IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS! THANK YOU ALL!

i've had straight talk for around 3 years or more. i do use a lot of data and have never been bottle-necked or shut off from using too much data..it is unlimited to the extent you cant stream pandora 24/7 or download a whole movie on 3g/4g..that is considered constant streaming and it's illegal for mobile data providers to let that happen.

hence the 2gb or 4 gb limits on contract providers. this would seriously hurt local and nationwide isp.

you can browse, download, and stream all you want but keep it to youtube and turn off pandora after a while. or just use wifi...

to boogle2 Cicero, Illinois, United States #620939

They scam sort of first week i had 2-5 mbits then after a week of use they bottlenecked to 200 kbits called them they tried to downplayed it but latter put me back to mbits range again, they are scammers of sort must be asians owned

to GMO kills DNA #633519

no, it's owned by mexican company

to no, mexican company New Castle, Delaware, United States #715330

Guatamala...

to boogle2 Minden, Louisiana, United States #693608

That is not true. I use my data only for the things that you use yours for and they still cut me.

They told me not to download anything unless I was on Wi-Fi. :( :(

Similiar complaint here. Did not even use 2gb of service.

My phone was not shut off but was throttled so slow it was unusable.

Buyer beware and stick with your current provider. It Is Walmart after all and that's what you get.

Ah, and NEVER EVER buy the ST Unlimited ILD card because it is not unlimited, they cut your service if they beleive that you are calling excessively, they allow you to use only 1000 minutes of ILD balance, and they start to cust he service. Messages like "you have insufficient funds to complete this call" or "we have to hung up now, goodbye" commonly appear when you use all the ILD service. So, please don't waste your money and energies on that.

Straighttalk says that it is unlimited but it is not. According to them, they can presume you are using too much data therefore it's not unlimited.

The CSRs are forced to say that eventhough many of them (not to say all of them) believe that is unfair, but that's the way it is because the people who handle that company, the Corporate Office (Big Fish) are incompetent, they set *** resolutions hat CSRs must follow. BTW the company's owner is Carlos Slim, the billionaire that has made his fortune by cheating heir customer's and slaving agents.

The same thing pretty much happened to me i refilled my service then the next day my phone is shut off but interestingly enough i couldnt get a straight answer from ST. I was ferried around the straight talk office from one rep to the next with one saying my data usage was to high (as of how it was i have no clue i always use wifi an turn off my data to save battery power even outside the house) and another saying i was calling 1800 numbers which (even though i wasnt) how does that even matter?

One even dared to accuse me of calling late night "hot" lines which is completely absurd.

This company is a huge rip off and a $140 phone is completely wasted. Never will i ever recommend this company to anyone.

Glasgow, Kentucky, United States #594473

I used them for 6 months, sometimes only using 300 MB per month. I never did go over 2GB. They throttled me down to .7Mbs 3 weeks into the month after I had only used 600MB of data. I did use about 150 MB of date one night, streaming some video, which I guess got me throttled. So not only do they look at your monthly data usage, but they must also look at daily or even hourly usage.

I called and got lectured on their TOS, and they told me I had used too much data. When I said I had only used 600 MB over 3 weeks, they turned the table back to complying with their TOS

They claimed they would reset the band width at the next billing cycle. I told them if it wasn't reset immediately there wouldn't be another billing cycle. I went up one level to their supervisor, and they also refused to reset the bandwidth. I said then your service is not acceptable for my use, hung up after about an hour of time between being on hold and trying to speak to understand an Indian, and no longer use straight talk. I now use Puretalk, along with an internet on the go hotspot, and save quite a bit of $$ compared to ST.

Well I have used 56gb of data so far on first month and no prob get I'm testing them that's y its so much used and I love my phone and service

:) :eek :grin :zzz :sIgh :p ;)

to Rob New York, New York, United States #596129

HOW do u get away with that. do u have a program that tricks the company????

to Rob #626389

how can you tell how much data your using

to Rob Pickens, South Carolina, United States #650923