Straight Talk Wireless - Straighttalk users BEWARE of tethering Android phones

1261 of 1338 Straight Talk Wireless reviews

I had been a Straighttalk user for the past couple of years with very little issues with their services until I baught their Android phone. I went on the internet and looked at tethering my Android to my laptop. I had checked out a few websites that had offered a free service but,of coarse,after a trial period you had to pay for their services. Well,to my surprise I had found a website that offered free service without having to commite to their service after a trial period. That website is PDAnet.com. I am warning all Straighttalk Android users planning on tethering their phones to not do it. I downloaded everything for tethering my Android right from PDAnet's webpage,which also included downloading everything needed on my phone. Everything seemed to be going great,until about a month into me using this tethering,my phone had been disconnected from Straighttalk. I had called Straighttalk to see why this was happening and they had told me that I was using the tethering too much and PDAnet wanted my service disconnected.

After a couple of hours of complaining and quit a few phone calls to Straighttalk we came to the agreement that they would reactivate my phone as long as I agreed to not use the tethering as much as I had been. Both Straighttalk n I agreedand my service was restored. All was well until 2 weeks later when i was in the middle of sending sms messages to my daughter,my service was shut off again!!!

Every time I tried sending an sms an error message would show on my screen with a CODE 97 and to call customer service.

Once again I had called Straighttalk to see what a CODE 97 was and why my service was disconnected again. The first person I talked to told me they were sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing me but I had to call another office number and talk to a supervisor. When I asked what a CODE 97 was,this person would not tell me anything about it. In fact he kept backpeddaling and appologizing and avoiding my question about the CODE 97. He did give me another number I needed to call but he informed me that it was past their office hours and I would need to call them tomorrow. First off if my phone was shut off at 10pm and their office closes at 8pm how can they expect their customers to be understanding n not get pissed about their services being disconnected??? The Straighttalk guy hung up on me...

The next morning I had tried to call that number given to me the night before by Straighttalk but I couldnt do to my services being shut off...I had to call Straighttalk customer service back again. I told them I was given this number to call because my phone had a CODE 97 but I couldnt call because they shut my phone off and i needed them to connect me to that other number thru them. As I waited half an hour on hold,I finally got to talk to a supervisor!!!

Well this supervisor had appologized for any inconveniences this has caused me and continued on to tell me that my services have been terminated indefinately. INDEFINATELY!!! What!!! She had explained that I had been warned numerous times about using PDAnet and I didnt listen to their warnings so they terminated my services. Of coarse I was getting really pissed by now and I had asked the woman to give me some dates of these warnings because it wasnt true on their part. I had the 1 phone conversation with Straighttalk when the had previously disconnected my services and made the agreement with them to not use PDAnet "as much" as I had been. I went on to tell this woman that I had NOT used PDAnet at all since I had made this agreement to keep my service going. This woman preceeded to argue I had numerous warnings from them about using PDAnet. We had argued back n forth about the usage and yet she still would not give me any dates of these so called warnings from them. She had also notified me that my Android cellphone will not be able to be reactivated ever again. What!! So,i asked her what they want to do about the rest of the month of service I had paid for and the $150.00 I spent on this Android phone. Were they willing to re-emburse me for any of the money I spent? She told me that the only thing I could do is buy another phone from Wal-Mart and have it activated with a new number and service card then call them back to see if I will get the rest of my month I paid for put on the new phone.

So,here I am without my phone,a phone I spent $150.00 on that will never be activated again by me or anyone else,and having to spend even more money to buy another phone and service card.I cant beleive that Straighttalk would even think I would stay with them after all the wasted money I spent on something that is now useless to me or anyone else all because of tethering.

I will never use Straighttalk again and I hope all the Straighttalk users out there please take my warning of the tethering use. Please dont do it so this wont happen to you too. Im very dissatified with the outcome of this whole situation.Discusted is more like it!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 345 Yes 345 917 No 917
Had the same issue 175 Yes 175
1261 of 1338 Straight Talk Wireless reviews

1 day ago #1289998

its ovious you went out of your way to teather the internet from your phone. You act like you had no idea that it was wrong. You sound like a whiner, and honestly you deserved everything that happened.

Dec 07, 2016 #1251628 Portland, Maine, United States

Straight Talk SUCKS! No one speaks English and it takes dozen of phone calls to get anything done. Go to GoPhone, ATT's no contract service plan, no issue with tethering or using your phone as a hotspot. If you unlock (jail break) that $150 phone you bought from SuckTalk you can just buy a SIM from GoPhone and be back in business without all the hassle SuckTalk gives you. AT&T has no issues with tethering or using your device as a HotSpot. You pay for the data plan, SuckTalk should let you use it as you want. Just like SuckTalk, AT&T will lower your speed when you reach the limit on your plan, but will not shut you down. Unlike SuckTalk, AT&T rolls over the data usage you do not use to the next month.

0 1 Reply

Nov 09, 2016 #1238765

Pretty sure I just got put in "probation mode" on Total Wireless (Straight Talk derivative) for using planet as well. Even though I was buying $10 3GB cards and adding them, in last week I've been disabled 3 times. I figured after the 2nd time they detected pdanet but wasn't sure...they said I was out of data, when I had over 3gb left. So I added a new $10 card and within 12 hours (where I used pdanet) the service just stopped, like before, while using pdanet w/ PC. I called tech support and they mentioned "probation mode" but didn't go into details. They did something and told me to reset phone...after i did that, my data connection reappeared. Sooooooo long story short, no more pdanet. TotalWirrless us a good deal and I don't want to brick my phone, so I deleted pdanet 100%. WARNING TO OTHERS....DO NOT MESS WITH PDANET ON ANY NET10/TRACFONE/STRAIGHTTALK/TOTAL WIRELESS PHONE. THEY WILL CUT OFF YOUR DATA WITHOUT WARNING!!!

Nov 06, 2016 #1237135 Kansas City, Missouri, United States

you should just buy unlocked phones. that would have prevented all of this. if they have a carrier name on them (straight talk, verizon, whoever) stay away. All you should buy from the carrier is a sim card. I have been doing this for years and never looked back.

Oct 29, 2016 #1233576 Pekin, Illinois, United States

Tethering is prohibited by the TOU. So I never did it. So I still have phone service. Still overall happy with ST. For around 6 yrs so far.

Oct 19, 2016 #1229085

Next time root your phone with a good rom with a built in tether. Ive been using straight talk forever with hotspot with no problems. ;) also pdanet does work if you know how to change your phone settings around.

Oct 15, 2016 #1227172 Fairview, New Jersey, United States

All these phone companys claim unlimited plan but its far from unlimited. Data Its the only thing left the phone companys have to hold us by the balls with. it should be unlimited like home internet.

Sep 29, 2016 #1220225 Gilbert, Arizona, United States

What a dummy to think that you can tether to an already discounted and cheap service. You were trying to beat the system, that's what happens to crooks. Instant Karma at it's best!

1 5 Reply

Oct 09, 2016 #1224552

Hey ***. If you don't exceed your allotment, who cares if THE DATA YOU PAID FOR is used via tethering?

4 0 Reply

Sep 20, 2016 #1215973 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Tethering isn't allowed and you would know if you read their CLEAR information BEFORE YOU STARTED SERVICE with them.

1 4 Reply

Aug 19, 2016 #1201050

There service people, for the most part, are ***!!!

2 0 Reply

Aug 12, 2016 #1198145 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States

So Alan i can't stream Netflix with straight talk when using "my" data that I purchased? *** that's my data that I purchased and if I want to watch a movie I'm going to watch a movie.

4 0 Reply
MariaST

Aug 14, 2016 #1198810

Hi. I’m Maria from Straight Talk Wireless. We're sorry for the trouble. To resolve the problem, please send us an email with your account information to ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com.

1 3 Reply

Mar 07, 2016 #1123523

When a consumer purchases a service plan that has a stated set limit of (high speed) data, said consumer should be allowed to use their data how or as they please. Straight Talk also restricts many built in functions on their (our) phones. Their Customer Service Reps have the ability to (and have) turn on your devices camera and watch youtalk

3 7 Reply
Brent

Aug 17, 2016 #1200111 Atlanta, Georgia, United States

"...Their Customer Service Reps have the ability to (and have) turn on your devices camera..."
False.

0 1 Reply

Mar 07, 2016 #1123511

THIS SOUNDS JUST LIKE WHAT I WENT THRU WITH THEM. ALTHOUGH MY EXPERIENCE WAS ABOUT SIX YRS AGO. I WAS USING A NOKIA E7 RUNNING SYMBIAN SYSTEM. THEY WERE UNABLE TO CONTROL ME AND DESTROYED MY PHONE AND LAPTOP. AND JUST TO LET YOU KNOW. THEY CAN AND WILL TURN ON YOUR CAMERA AND WATCH YOU IF YOU ARE ARGUING WITH A CUSTOMER REP. I COUGHT THEM.

1 6 Reply
Brent

Aug 17, 2016 #1200112 Atlanta, Georgia, United States

False.

4 1 Reply

Oct 17, 2016 #1227985 Griffin, Georgia, United States

Brent your an *** if you think this is false. Service providers can and will use cameras/Mic for "this call will be recorded". Go to court with a good lawsuit and find if it's false. Now for customer service seeing any of the recordings.no they don't. Work your way up though and you will, and sometimes wish you had not.

1 0 Reply

Feb 24, 2016 #1117457

If u read the agreement it clearly states no tethering

6 2 Reply

1-20 of 180 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Straight Talk Wireless. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Straight Talk Wireless.
Filing a new complaint about
×