Newark, New Jersey

In December 2013 I purchased a Straight Talk phone. Circa March 2014 my phone had an issue where it was indicating it was charging when it was not plugged it and thus draining my battery much faster than it should throughout the day. I called Straight Talk about my issue and they advised me my phone was defective so I needed a replacement phone. They asked me to mail it in and wait 7-10 business days for the replacement. I spoke with a supervisor, then a manager. I offered to pay for the replacement, then mail in my old one for the credit once they received it, as I was not going 7-10 days without a phone (it is 2014, would you?). After much deliberation they advised they would issue me a phone without me paying for it, and asked that I sent back my old phone with the accompanying box.

A few days later I received an empty box. I waited another 7-10 days and did not receive the phone. I called them back; they apologized. The manager indicated she would upgrade my phone for the inconvenience (to a ZTE Majesty), and send it immediately. A short time later I received the phone.

It wasn’t long before I realized this phone shut off when the battery life hit 15%. And then I realized I was having connectivity problems, a slow internet, and intermittent ability to send picture text. I called Straight Talk and the gentleman I spoke with advised me I should mail in the phone for a replacement because the battery was defective. But, I didn’t want to deal with the whole issue again so I decided I could deal with 85% battery life if the other issues could be fixed. The tech support guy opened his “tools” (as he called them) and gave me a number to dial which apparently resets my routing towers so I can get the 3G I was promised and the ability to send picture text.

This fix worked for a few days (or maybe it just took me a few days before I went to send a pic text again) and the problem started again. Over the next 2 months or so I placed several calls to Straight talk tech support about the issue.

On June 17 I had a flare up on the chronic technical issues. I spoke with a gentleman named “Roal” (ref # 1272865533); he was very enlightening and helpful. He indicating that each time I called to complain and they had me dial the “magic tower resetting” phone number it didn’t fix the issue. He said that doesn’t do anything unless they “configure the system” to match. I asked him to do so, and he apologized indicating he would but my local tower was “undergoing repairs” so I needed to call back the next day.

The next day I called back the number provided by Roal (1 866 667 6470) and spent hours on the phone troubleshooting my problem. I was advised there was no fix and my phone was defective. I was told to mail in my phone so a new one could be reissued. I advised them I was not going without a phone and the same conversation that happened the last time was repeated. I spoke with a supervisor, then a manager. The manager advised me she could see the prior issues, she admitted the capabilities of sending a new phone before they receive the old one and she indicated she would have the new phone sent out ASAP. I was given the reference numbers 1093178165 and 1093178865.

I waited 3 weeks, no phone, no box. I called back Straight Talk and entered my reference number and received a recorded message that I should be receiving my phone within 5 business days. I waited two weeks, no phone.

Today, 7/26/14, I called customer service again. I was advised that a new phone CAN NOT BE REISSUED WITHOUT ME SENDING THEM THE DEFECTIVE ONE.

I asked for a manager and was turned over to Edward, Operations Manager, rep # 6803. He told me he can see the notes but there was no way he was sending me a new phone, he didn’t care who promised one, or how long I had already waited. He didn’t care that it happened once already when they sent me a defective one to replace my defective one. He simply, rudely advised “bottom line, I don’t care what we promised; you have to send us the broken phone first”.

I asked to speak with Edward’s boss and he refused to allow me to. He refused to identify his boss. He literally told me he had no boss.

Also, I do not get 3G speeds! 3G should be able to stream music, Youtube, or Netflix; it DOES NOT. So, they are violating the terms of their agreement by not providing the speeds advertised. I would like this looked into as I wholeheartedly believe this is actually a bigger complaint in the grand scheme of things and grounds for a class action law suit.

I would like to make an additional complaint. They call their internet “Unlimited 3G”, however after my initial investment of buying the phone they switched that to “Up to 3.5 GBs of data” and then did not adequately notify anyone, let alone offer to credit back people who bought phones before they changed their data usage allowance (should we not be grandfather in?).

So, bottom line, I want a phone mailed to me as was promised, as I waited patiently for, and as was done once already (with the defective one). And I want it sent NOW. I really do not think asking for what was promised is too much to ask for. I want an explanation on why I cannot stream videos if I am getting 3G speed (while well under my 3.5 GB allowance). And I would also advise Straight Talk to think long and hard about ever letting the rude manager named Edward to ever answer the phone again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Straight Talk Wireless Technical Support.

Comments

MariaST

Hi, this is Maria with Straight Talk Wireless. I read your post and am sorry that you are having problems.

Please send me your contact information to the following email address ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com. We can help you get the problem resolved right away.

Please include your name, phone serial number or cell phone number. Just copy and paste your comments from the blog and include it in your email or you can chat with us live @ http://bit.ly/16DrgbW.

GOOD LUCK DEALING WITH THESE PEOPLE. I GAVE UP AND WENT TO VERIZON....A LOT LESS HEADACHE AND A PHONE THAT WORKS LIKE THEY SAID IT WOULD.

I DID ALL OF THE ABOVE AS WELL AND GOT NOWHERE AT ALL. THE PHONE THEY REPLACED MINE WITH ALSO TURNED OUT TO QUIT WORKING WITH IN A FEW SHORT DAYS. IF YOU FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT PLEASE LET ME KNOW...I HAVE ALL MY RECEIPTS WHERE I HAVE SPENT COUNTLESS AMOUNTS OF MONEY ON THE STRAIGHT TALK PHONES FOR MY ENTIRE FAMILY.

I CERTAINLY WANT TO BE IN ON THAT ONE.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews